With nine victories, he holds the record for the most wins at the Le Mans 24 Hours — and he has written motorsport history. Tom Kristensen: The Book
, however, is more than just Tom Kristensen’s chronicle of his successes at Le Mans: it takes the reader on an exciting journey through four decades full of emotions — from petrol pumps at his parents’ filling station in Denmark to champagne showers in front of 250,000 fans at the world’s greatest motor race. Private and never-seen-before pictures, untold stories, new facts and personal insights as told by Kristensen himself make The Book unique.
- Early years: growing up in Denmark; a close-knit, happy, supportive family; huge success in karting; from penniless talent to Formula 3 champion, in Germany in 1991.
- Four successful years in Japan: a second Formula 3 title, with the Tom’s team in 1993; starring in Formula 3000; showing his versatility in touring cars; living a different life in Japan.
- Back to Europe: flashes of brilliance in Formula 3000; racing for Honda in touring cars, including in Britain’s BTCC; tastes of Formula 1 with test roles at Tyrrell and Williams, and for Michelin.
- Victory at Le Mans as a rookie in 1997, with Joest Racing’s TWR-Porsche; two fruitless Le Mans outings with BMW follow, but there is another famous début win, in the Sebring 12 Hours in 1999.
- Audi works driver: Le Mans hat-trick, 2000–2002, each time with Frank Biela and Emanuele Pirro in the all-conquering R8 — a unique achievement.
- Bentley Boy, winning Le Mans in 2003; two more Le Mans wins with privateer teams, Team Goh (2004) and Champion Racing (2005), both in Audi R8s.
- Diesel-powered: epic fights with Peugeot, none more so than at Le Mans in 2008, an incredible race that brought Kristensen his eighth victory there.
- His darkest moment: the horrific crash at Hockenheim on 22 April 2007, driving an Audi A4 touring car — but he recovers in time for Le Mans eight weeks later.
- Going global: racing the Audi T18 worldwide; World Champion in 2013, his most successful season, which also brings a highly emotional ninth Le Mans victory.
- Concluding sections: thoughts on fitness and teamwork; his favourite cars, races and tracks; complete results listing.
Published in a very large, sumptuous format to best display its superb photographs, Tom Kristensen: The Book
will be treasured by the Danish hero’s legions of fans and all motorsport enthusiasts captivated by the Le Mans 24 Hours.